Washington Square- 19107

 

Washington Square, a.k.a. Washington Square West, Wash West, Midtown Village, and Center City East is Center City’s hip and trendy zip code to live, work and play while providing easy access to the city’s business district, Antique Row, Jeweler’s Row (the oldest diamond district in the country), boutiques and fabulous restaurants.

The neighborhood was named after its historic Washington Square in tribute to George Washington and planned by William Penn as one of his original five open-space parks. During the 18th century, the Square was used to graze animals, as a cattle market. During the Revolutionary War, the Square was used as a burial ground for troops on both sides as well as victims of the yellow fever epidemic. Improvement efforts began as early as 1815 when the neighborhoods surrounding the Square began to develop and become fashionable. During the early 1950’s, renovations of the Square brought about the monument of The Tomb of the Revolutionary’s War Unknown Soldier, a tribute to all soldiers and sailors of the Revolutionary War. In 2005, through an easement from the City of Philadelphia, the National Park Service took over ownership and management of the Square and is now a part of Independence National Historical Park.

Washington Square offers an array of housing and business options from townhouses, historic brownstones, and luxury high-rise condominiums. Within minutes discover treasure filled antique shops, the Walnut Street and Forrest Theaters, Louis Kahn Park, named after one of the most influential mid-century architects, Segar Park (where local children play all year round), sidewalk cafes, supermarkets, Chinatown and Reading Terminal market.

The Square is home to the country’s original publishing and advertising legends. The Curtis Building, located on the north side of the park, serves as a reminder of Philadelphia’s publishing industry. Established in 1891, Curtis became one of the largest and most influential publishers in the country and were proudly involved in the publications of the Ladies Home Journal, The Saturday Evening Post and American Home…. just to name a few! On the east side of the Square you find, the Lippincott, a 33-unit luxury mid-rise condominium and former home of Lippincott Publishing (1785). Just down the walkway is the two-tower Independence Place high-rise condominium offering wonderful light filled units, spacious balconies with magnificent views of the Square, the City and Delaware River, parking is available. The Ayer Condominium, a new luxury high-rise, formerly N.W. Ayer & Son, was the first advertising agency in the U.S. founded in Philadelphia in 1869. Hopkinson House, located on the south side of the Square, built in 1963, is a 35-story 536-unit skyscraper condominium with balconies, roof top swimming pool, and parking. Adjacent to the Hopkinson House is The Marion Locks Gallery, founded in 1968 represents an international group of respected modern and contemporary artists working in a variety of mediums. Washington Square is home to Thomas Jefferson University, Wills Eye, and Pennsylvania hospitals, the nation’s first hospital and maternity ward started by Ben Franklin. Come visit this exciting neighborhood truly located in the heart of the city!